What to do with leftover whites from pineapple tart baking?
It is a common question for all that does pineapple tart for Lunar New Year. Would like to share one of my favorites. A great way to use the whites and add on another snacks to share with families and friends.
Flaked Almond Biscuits
(adapted from Anncoo Journal)
90g plain flour
100g caster sugar
60g melted butter
2 egg whites, lightly beaten
1/4 tsp almond essence
1. Sift flour into mixing bowl
2. Add sugar
3. Make a well in the centre and add melted butter, egg whites and almond essence to bowl.
4. Using a wooden spoon, stir until well combined.
5. Cover mixture with cling wrap, rest for an hour.
6. Pre-heat 170 degree c.
7. Drop about 2 tsp mixture and spread thin. Sprinkle with flaked almonds.
8. Bake 7 mins or till lightly golden brown.
9. Remove, cool, and store.
– I used 125g (half of salted butter) for 2 servings
– I used homemade vanilla essence instead of almond essence
– I used about 100g of flaked almonds for 2 servings
– I used 1/2 tsp of mixture for each biscuits
– 7 mins is too short for me, each tray differs slightly, it’s about 12 to 15 mins per tray
I really have no idea how she can get it so rounded. None of mine looks similar in shape. My mixture came out slightly thicken too.
Maybe it’s just me, I got to watch the oven after the 7 mins mark so they don’t get too brownish. So that kinda add on to the difficulty and tediousness. And ‘drawing’ each piece out.
But all the hard work is worth it. Because even I find this irresistible. Hard to stop at one piece.