I conquered my fear of chiffon! Yes, I did my first chiffon cake today – it’s cupcake size though. But heck! It’s still a chiffon. Never had I seen my mum bake a chiffon, and so, I’m extremely proud of myself that I managed to bake Chiffon Cupcakes! Long ago, I did requested for my mum to guide me through a chiffon cake, but for some reasons, the plan never work out. My mum wasn’t very enthu about it too as she baked the big chiffon before and it sink.
I decided to start small. It’s better than not starting at all! And as there’s extra batter after deciding into two trays, I pop-ed two cupcakes into the air-fryer and they came out better than those oven-baked! I guess height really does matters. So lesson learn: use a tall paper cups if you want to bake chiffon cupcakes.
3 egg yolks
1/4 tsp salt
50g vegetable oil
few drops of vanilla paste (i didn’t use)
50g cake flour (sifted)
1. Preheat oven to 175 degree C
2. Lined muffins tray with paper casing
3. Use hand whisk to mix 1 whole egg, 3 egg yolks, sugar and salt until well blended
4. Add in oil and vanilla paste, whisk till combined
5. Add in flour and stir until batter is smooth
6. Use a cake mixer and whisk the egg whites till frothy
7. Gradually add in the sugar and whisk till stiff peaks
8. Fold in 1/4 of the meringues into the egg yolk batter until combined
9. Fold in the rest of the meringue lightly in two portions until well combined
10. Spoon batter into paper basing till 60% full
11. Bake for 20 to 25mins OR air-fry at 140degree C for 15mins
12. Remove and cook on wire rack
The flatter looking one came from the oven and the taller one came from the air-fryer. Which is why I say that height did matter in chiffon. Texture wise, the taller one came out more fluffy and lighter as compared to the shorter one. But nonetheless, the flatter looking chiffon came out light and fluffy too. So, do use a ‘taller’ paper casing or paper cup if you plan to bake this. Taste wise, I’m pretty alright with the egg taste, not too strong. And comparing to a butter cake, this is almost like zero oil.
And that’s the story of My First Chiffon Cake. What’s yours?
p.s. I’m really surprised that the air-fryer baked such a prefect looking chiffon cupcake
Sometimes, height matters