I baked!! My first bake after the operation. But of course, I didn’t bake this myself, the maid helped a lot with the preparation and mum helped to check on the temperature.
Consider this a healthy bake since there’s like almost two fuji apples in it and a good way to use the apples. And it’s really simple! Just mix the wet stuffs then fold in the wet stuffs, pop into the oven, wait.
220g butter (room temperature)
170g sugar (i reduced this to 130g as i’m using red apple)
3 large eggs – separated
1 tsp vanilla extract (i omit)
180g plain flour
30g corn flour (i used potato flour)
5g baking powder
250g green apple, peeled and cubed and mix with 1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice (i used red apple and did not peel)
Lemon zest from 1 large lemon (i omit)
1. Preheat oven to 180 degree C. Prepare baking pan, I used 8inch square tin. Original used 9inch bundt pan. Line with baking paper or spray with non-stick.
2. Cream butter and sugar till fluffy and pale. Add vanilla extract if using and mix well.
3. Add egg yolks one at a time and mix well before adding egg whites. Mix well and stop machine.
4. Sift plain flour, corn flour, baking powder and fold into butter mixture.
5. Fold in apply cubes and lemon zest.
6. Pour batter into prepared pan/ tin.
7. Bake for 35 – 40mins. Check with skewer
Cool the cake in the pan/ tin for 30mins before removing from pan/ tin to rack to cool completely.
The cake is really SOFT! And the sweetness from the apple is just so perfect for this worthy tea-time cake. And the best part? It’s really simple to prepare. I was worrying about the potato flour that I used instead of the corn flour but luckily the cake came out from the oven looking perfectly normal and taste so good! But I suggest it’s still best to go with the original recipe and use corn flour. Yummy apple cake! So happy to bake a decent cake today.
Baking therapy cools the head and warms the heart